Saturday, September 24, 2005

In Memory of my friend................................................
Michael Conner was stationed in Darmstadt, Germany with the 6910th Security Wing during 1968 and 1969. His next set of Orders came down sending him to Pleiku, Vietnam with Detachment 2, 6994th SS.

I spent time associating with Mike during our schooling in San Angelo, Texas, becoming good friends. I remember him as a man of good character and integrity. He was the kind of person that made you glad to be his friend.

May we never forget those who gave up their lives yesterday for the freedoms we enjoy today.

The next few paragraphs are bits of information gleaned from other sources, especially from Mike’s friend, Danny Russell who was on the very same flight that day.

A Memory of Cap-53

The Shoot down of Cap 53, 22 April 1970, as told by Danny E Russell.

I'm Danny Russell and I was a rear end crewmember with the 6994th, DET 2 at Pleiku. With the help of Phil Ehrhorn, MY SEFE, our crew consisted of Lt George M. Wall, Pilot; Lt. Nasipak, co-pilot; Capt. Carl Lemon, Navigator;;SSgt Edward J. Mosely, Flight Engineer, all with the 362nd TEWS and Ron Lawlor, our 203. Phil was in charge of the back end crew consisting of SSGT Michael R. Conner and myself.

Mike and I were in charge of scheduling and we were really excited about flying together. We had made a point to hand pick this crew to fly with.

Mike had just recovered from a broken finger and I had just come off DNIF due to hernia surgery.

“We took off about 3:30 AM and flew an un-eventful mission. It was the kind that you knew who you were after and where he was supposed to be but he just didn't come up. We joked back and forth saying he knew who was up here and he was afraid to come up with all the EXPERTS up here ready to copy. About 10 minutes before time to RTB he came up and we asked the AC for permission to stay on site to get him.

Capt Lemon got on him and directed the plane into position, I think we had a fix on him when KABOOM. Reports say we got hit with 37MM but I looked down and saw at least a 4-inch hole right next to the Doppler set. Capt Lemon was the only one hit. I think a piece of shrapnel went thru close to his elbow-- not too much blood and he did an excellent job. He hung right there and between him and Phil, they got out the MAYDAY and gave our exact position.

Rescue was Johnny on the spot and other than me trying to clean my pants I think everyone did a fine professional job. Our first intent was to get to sea because the damage was to the rear end control and the front-end crew didn't have a lot of options.

We lost one engine immediately and the other one was smoking pretty badly, so going over the mountains was out. Next I think they tried for a landing strip but rescue said it was VC controlled.

Our next option was to bail out, so Mike and I went to the jump door and tried to open it. It was jammed due to the concussion. We tried and tried and finally the door just fell off!!!!!! We looked at each other and both agreed we were way too low to jump, and about that time Lt Wall looked back at us expecting the back end to be clean and ordered us to strap in and prepare for crash landing.

As we went forward, Mike was ahead of me and he automatically went to my seat so I took his rear seat. I had just buckled in and looked out the left window to see the wing hit a tree and break loose.
I honestly don't know if I was knocked out or not. I did realize that something very heavy was on me when I tried to move. One of the consoles had broken loose and had landed on me. As I got free, I started hearing moans and groans so I knew someone else had made it also.

As we slowly started to un-pile each other I discovered my good friend Mike, who had went forward and had taken my seat was killed. To this day I still ask GOD why. This man was married and all he could do is talk about his wife and the baby they were about to have.

Rescue was talking to a plane that had tailed us in, and he had radioed back that he didn't think anyone could have survived but we straightened him out in a hurry.
We were really a rag tag mess to look at; we all had head wounds and you all know even a scratch on your head bleeds heavy. I kind of laughed to myself as I saw Phil and Ron trying to wrap Captain Lemon’s head. What a HOOT that was.

We formed up next to a crater about 12 ft across. Rescue had no trouble seeing us there. As we were moving around, my D ring got hooked on some twigs and my belly pack exploded out in front of me, what a mess. I’m glad I didn't have to repack it. Rescue would have been fun to watch under different circumstances. I think all 4 branches were there. I think there were F4’s, A6’s, Spads, Cobra’s, Sandy’s and even an OV-10. They were great and I can honestly say they worked to precision. They told us what was going to happen and it happened exactly as they told us.

My memories of the next few moments were intense. I went back to the plane to try to help anyone I could find but my back started to really act up. I guess my strength had been used up and I finally heard someone asking for help but I could hardly function on my own so I hollered back to stay put and I would report their location. I think it was Mosely but I'm not sure. Man that was tough to not be able to function when someone needs you.

As I got back to our rescue area, the air rescue support did their thing. Cobra gun ships were blazing and rockets were impacting really close. This made me realize we weren't down here alone. Charlie was trying to get us.
The first rescue Chopper came in and Phil, Ron, and Capt Lemon got on. The next Chopper came in and lifted right back out. They told me they were taking on small arms fire, assuring me they would be back. Then the show started all over. Under any other circumstances it would have been fun to watch. F-4's unloaded, Cobras set and fired rockets. A-6s strafed. I think the OV10 had his side arm out! Ha! (That would be a .38 Cal Pistol). A small LOCH came in and I got on, we got about 20 ft in the air and Charlie hit the rotor and down we went…TWICE IN 20 MINUTES? COME ON… ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Here we go again. Now let me talk about CHOPPER CREWS…. THEY ARE CRAZY. The gunner picked up his 50 or 60 cal??? I don't know which, and set up and started blazing. The pilot after shutting down came over to me while we were being fired at and was standing straight up telling me " You know, I never did like that chopper, I'm going to get a different one tomorrow!

After sanitizing the area again, rescue came in again and got me out.
Upon reaching the hospital I learned that Capt Wall had also been killed in the crash. Ron, Phil and Capt Lemon were all accounted for and visually seen. I never saw Lt Nasipak or SSGT Mosely.

After returning to base and starting to work we learned that Mike's widow had given birth to a son. One month to the day after the crash, Mike Jr. was born, 22 May 1970. WE took up a collection and started a college fund for him, and I must say 63 guys gave ‘til it hurt. I'M so proud of them.

Upon returning stateside Phil and I and Alan Brack and his wife went to Tennessee to visit the widow and son who never got to see DADDY. Mikes parents and his widows’ parents also attended. I do not use their names only for their privacy.
25 years later we all went to THE WALL for a gathering. The little baby I held in 1970 was now a married man. We went to the wall at exactly at 9:35AM the time of our shoot down. We held each other and cried. After about an hour we started moving towards the Lincoln Memorial, Mike and I were kind of dragging up the rear and we passed a t-shirt stand. A t-shirt with a hologram of a soldier looking out of the wall towards a little 5 year old caught our attention. >>>> The shirt said, "Here Daddy, I brought you a present" We both lost it again!!!!

Yours for a better tomorrow, Danny Russell

A Letter to Danny
Danny, My name is Richard Bonazza. I was called Ben over in ‘Nam. I was at Pleiku from March 69 to the 1st of May when I went to NKP in Thailand. I knew Phil real well. I was flying on a 2-seater in the area just west of Cap 53 when you got hit. Our plane had taken enemy fire earlier but thankfully "Charlie" missed us. I can still hear Phil's SOS going out over secure radio, and then our plane flying over to see your plane smoking and the choppers coming in. We were low on fuel so we couldn't stay long. On our way back to base we heard "cap Killer" on its way to destroy the plane. Since I left a few days after the crash I never got to see any of you guys again.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I dedicate this article to my friend, Michael Conner. May we never forget the thousands of "sons" who paid the highest price in that foreign land called Vietnam.

1 comment:

  1. Reporters Without Borders provides guidance for blogging from within...
    The Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents is an introduction to blogging and avoiding torture.
    Very Much like your BLOG ! Am Bookmarking NOW !

    I have a tabsite/blog. It pretty much covers tab related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers