Tuesday, November 22, 2005


THANKSGIVING

I have always loved the Thanksgiving Holidays. It’s a time of joy of having family come together to share a table of wonderful food, the smell of the baking turkey and dressing that has been cooking in the oven all day, the excitement of everyone sitting down together to eat and reminisce and the nap that followed after we gorged ourselves to pieces. It’s a wonderful holiday that prepares us for things yet to come. It’s also the beginning of more; a kick-off for Christmas, if you will. It’s a day where many stores begin Christmas sales to officially welcome the holiday shoppers. Tree lights are lit and familiar songs are being played.

I especially enjoy Thanksgiving as it reminds me I’m home. It was on Thanksgiving Day 1969 when I arrived in Phu Cat, Vietnam. That particular day felt so much less a holiday than any other time in my life. It was worse than spending Christmas in the tropics. The Mess hall did serve up carved turkey and the usual side dishes, topped off with Pumpkin Pie. The only thing missing was the soothing smell of home cooking and the noise and laughter of family conversation.

It was great to come back from Vietnam three weeks before the next Thanksgiving. Boy! Was I ready!

1 comment:

Statcounter

Followers