Thursday, January 12, 2006

My early years were incomparable to any year of today's time. A country bumpkin, a hillbilly poor boy, and other descriptive words were indeed, us. At the time we didn't know we were poor because we lived in the mountains with poor folks who had no more than we did. I was about eight when electricity came along. After that, the only time we used the old coal oil lamps was during a power outage.
The radio was our mainstay of entertainment during those early years. After doing my school homework and chores that lasted until dark, I listened to the radio. If you ever hear about "old time radio shows", or see them on Cassette Tape, that's what we had, although at that time, they weren't "old timey".
My favorites were the Westerns. I can't remember all of them, but we enjoyed the likes of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes, and several others. We couldn't "see" them, of course, but we had our imaginations to use and there were no limits! We knew the good guys wore white hats and had names for their horses, dogs and jeeps.
It was a good time to be raised. I miss those good old days.....

4 comments:

  1. Do you still listen to those programs now and then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those old radio shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I stumble across a radio station playing an old show, I will stop and listen. I don't go much out of my way to buy them anymore. The old tapes I've had are collecting dust somewhere I've forgot about. Your blog site has inspired me to do more searching and renew those good old days.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about that the other day, that is being poor but not knowing it because we were like everyone else. The ole days of the radio was good for the imagination. Back when a long distance phone call was to the neighbor 3 miles away!! Nothing more annoying than listening to a good radio program and hear two longs and two shorts on the phone and have to leave the radio to answer the phone. Now look at us!

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers