Sunday, April 23, 2006



Phu Cat, Vietnam,
Journal entry for:

April 23, 1970:
"It's a beautiful evening, even if it is a bit warm! I sat outside for a while looking at the stars and thinking about you; wishing we were together. It was very nice outside. This evening, Don and I cooked some pork chops on our barbeque pit and that was fun. We mixed up our own sauce with some odds and ends we found. I guess we used too much ketchup because that's what we mostly tasted! But it was pretty good.
"Old Stupid (our German Shepherd mascot), came around putting on his begging act so I had to give him some. I can't stand to see a grown dog cry! He's a real weird dog. I can easily see why he was named "Stupid".
We give him food and he usually takes it out and buries it somewhere and then forgets where! Crazy dog! He gets drunk with all the guys so I guess booze keeps him going! That's one thing he can't bury! He's the only beer-drinking dog I've ever seen that's particular about the brand! He won't touch the cheap kind! Imagine that!! Good 'Ol Stupid!
"Yea, I guess it was kind of mean for us to sell that Monkey to another GI. But he sort of deserved it. He was drunk at the time so maybe that will teach him a lesson...I think it's funny!
"I almost got my early out disapproved today. Luckily I went out to Ops and talked them out of it! So today I asked for August 16, we'd have to wait and see what happens... poor Mike never got a chance to get his. Don and I were really shaken up about that because we thought he might have made it. We're going to send his wife some money for flowers or whatever she wants to do with it. I'm sure the gang in Germany will do the same, because they always have when something like this happened. I know Mike would appreciate it."

April 26, 1970:
"You know, after what happened to Mike, I'm almost afraid to fly anymore. I'd give anything to have this war end. Not only for me but also for the sake of all the other GI's here. Did I tell you about us who knew Mike, setting up a little trust fund for his child? Well, I'll tell you again. Don called down to Pleiku to get his home addsress so we could send flowers and a guy there said something about setting up this trust fund for college. All the guys there are in on it, as well as his friends in Germany. There are some here who will contribute including some who don't even know him. The Security Service is a closely-knit organization and when something like this happens, everone wants to help. I think our organization is one of the best and we have a bunch of great guys in it!
"I'm sure having it rough trying to get my early out. It was disapproved again today. That's the second time in a week! But I put in for it again. This time it's for the 20th of August."

April 27, 1970:
"...I'm flying again in the morning at 9:35. I have Wednesday off! I can't stand it! I'm actually getting a day off! I've been working since last Thursday. That's 6 out of 7. After tomorrow I'll have 62 missions behind me. Those I don't worry about...it's the next 62 that bother me! Actually it doesn't bother me all that much; it's when I start THINKING about it....!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statcounter

Followers