Saturday, April 01, 2006


The joy of children....

Years ago I never thought I would love children as much as I do. I suppose it was something that I had to grow into to get to where I am today. Children are a big part of my world. I can't seem to get enough of their smiles, laughter, antics, interaction, love, friendship, simplicity, joy and so many other emotions that come from sharing time with them. I feel like I'm an advocate for children.....wanting to be available for them if they need me, or need something. Inside of me I feel like a protector, a prayer warrior, a mentor, a friend, a dad or a champion for them.

Over the years I have been a Bible School Teacher from 3rd graders through high schoolers, a Cub Master, and a Scout Master. I've read books to litle ones, rocked the babies and sang to them, changed diapers (not a fun job) and wrestled with the todlers, making them laugh. I've taken kids to the Zoo, Nature Preserves, Lakes, Camping, Theme Parks and Carnivals; we've been

on mountain hikes and backpacking trips, bicycle rides and snow skiing trips. I've played with them at the Beach, streams, lakes, in the snow, the rain and the sunshine. I suppose there are countless other ways I've had fun and interacted with kids. They are a special people who are probably closer to God than any other people on earth.

Those who missuse and abuse kids are perhaps the lowest of the low life and I have no place for them in mine. They have given themselves over to satan and their fate is in God's hands. I can neither respect them nor love them except with God's love. I do not care for those who abuse others, especially children, nor respect people who protect the abusers.

I am a watcher. I notice not only the kids playing in parks or along the streets, but I notice cars driving by and the drivers. Those who slow down and stare at children are given closer scrutiny by this watcher. I memorize their faces and write down license numbers......just in case. I don't believe a champion for children can be too vigilant.

God entrusted us with many of His blessings. Among those are His children. It is my duty to help them. It is also a joy and a blessing for me to have fun with them. I believe all of us are protectors of all children, especially our own and those of our families. How can we be any different?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for caring about kids, Mike. The ones you have impacted will not soon forget it.

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers