Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Goat Rocks in July

This was my first backpacking trip this year.  Brian and I took Bob and his son, Zach, to the Goat Rocks Wilderness for the weekend.  Had a great trip.  The snow was much higher than we anticipated but we had no trouble finding our destination, as I had camped there several years now.  The trip honed my back country (trail-less) experience.  We followed map and compass for this trip.  The night was VERY COLD!  We had a nice campsite and a warm fire with plenty of dried wood.

I've always wanted to see Goat Rocks in the Winter.  I guess this is the next best thing.  The winter terrain would have 12 feet of soft snow on it.  At least this way we can walk on top of the snow without sinking in!  To me, this day was a highlight in my entire backpacking experience!

Enjoy the pictures.


Mosquitoes .... had to bundle up!




The bridge over Goat Creek

Skunk Cabbage in bloom.

We had a bunch of these to cross!

Solid snow on the trail in about 1/2 mile from the bridge.

I had chains for my boots!  Very handy!!

After 4 miles we found the Lily Basin trail marker at Snowgrass.

Zach & Bob clowning around in the deep snow.

We found a clear spot on a bluff where we made camp.

My new Rainshadow II tent.

Nice campfire ring by Bob's tent but lots of snow close by.

It was a warm fire on a cold day.

We melted snow for drinking water.



I cooked up a nice, big skillet of Fajitas.

My steak fajitas were a big hit!

Early morning campfire with plenty of dry wood!

Yes....I was sitting there warming my feet!

A view of Hawkeye Point off to my left.

Looking uphill towards the Old Snowy ridge.

Finally able to tighten up my tent after the nights wind and rain.

Hiked up to the PCT near Old Snowy.  Looking at Mt Adams

We camped in those trees once upon a time.

Standing on top of 6 to 8 feet of snow up here!

Brian looking over at Ives Peak.

......towards Cispus Pass.

Zach looking over towards Goat Lake under snow.

We camped on that ridge last year.

Hawkeye Point above Goat Lake where we hiked last year.

Ives Peak


South towards Mt. Adams.

Mt Adams view.

Mt St. Helens behind the trees.


Brian enjoying the day.  So was I.

I always wanted to see The Goat Rocks in Winter.

Can you believe it's JULY??

We had a great day today!

Mt Adams was majestic!

We did a lot of cross country hiking today.

Who knows where the trail is anyway??








Heading home after cross country backpacking on mostly snowfields.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this. You should have brought the snowboards!

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers