Saturday, February 04, 2012

Retirement

CLOSING IN ON RETIREMENT

Having turned 65 already, I have been considering retirement. 
Although I will miss my routine of getting up early and going to work, I believe I will quickly set that aside and focus on the next level of my life.

I am making plans to retire in 4 weeks.  At that time I will undertake several things I have been putting off too long.  I have computer work I wish to "polish" by sorting pictures, writing documents and organizing my files.  I have plans to do some long needed work around the house.  Things have been neglected and need to be spruced up a bit; both inside and out!  My garage is a mess!  I will be hauling away un-needed  junk that I thought I needed at the time I acquired it.  I have some things to sell; others to give away. 

I have volunteer work I want to do.  I have a Great GrandDaughter I want to spend time with and get better acquainted; perhaps a couple of Great GrandSons, too; time permitting.

I have much hiking to do to get my body in shape for a month long backpacking trip in the Northern Cascades along the Pacific Crest Trail in August.  I have to plan the trip to mesh with the Wilderness Trek for our Metro Teens.  My August trip will be awesome!  I hope to be able to do about 100 miles along the PCT, including side trips, taking hundreds of photographs and soaking in amazing scenery!  This is important to me as I may be nearly blind in a few years from Macular Degeneration.  It's uncertain as to how long I will have my vision, but as long as I have it, I want to use it as much as I can.  What better place than the Mountains of northern Washington?

I suppose there are uncertainties in life; we cannot always prepare for what may come.  I believe we must do what we can, however, to experience what we can in the time God allocated for us.  I appreciate the health I do have.  I hate the thought of growing old and feeble and ending up in a Nursing Home unable to care for myself.  The though of that does not appeal to me at all.

But for now, I am excited to be working my final month before retirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statcounter

Followers