Tuesday, January 02, 2007

36 Years



Today my wife and I celebrate 36 years of wedded bliss together. Yes, it’s our 36th Anniversary! Some say the traditional gift suggestion is Bone China. That doesn’t sound very good to me, however. It congers up thoughts of eating off of china made from the hind leg of a mad cow somewhere in India or something. Perhaps, renaming that piece of china with a name that could “whet” the appetite instead of “churning” it would be a better option.

Instead, I went shopping with one thing in mind, and two thoughts of possibilities; the second being an Emerald, her favorite birthstone.

Last Sunday, our preacher talked about the “Pearl of Great Price”, found in the Good Book, that says: “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it. (NRSV) Matthew 13:45.

Armed with pearls on my mind, I set out with two “surrogate daughters” for the local Lloyd Center Shopping Mall to search for my pearl of great value. The parking lot was crowded but we managed to park nearby the “MACY’S” entrance, entering onto the main floor nearby the Jewelry Department. Following the scenic walkway, we couldn’t help but notice the brightly lit pearls in the glass case and the flashy 40% to 50% OFF signs. A very nice, more mature, lady (my wife’s age)….and just as charming….came over to ask to help. She showed me exactly what I was looking for; at “half off” it appealed even more so! I told her that I was going to go think about it and would return.

We stopped into 4 or 5 more Jewelry stores, always inquiring about pearls, and always finding smaller lengths and higher prices. MACY’S was looking good! One young lady in one particular store was showing us their line of pearls, named MIKIMOTO. These are supposed to be the ultimate heirloom quality of pearl perfected by Mr Mikimoto in the early 1900’s. They also boost a proud price tag! I asked the young lady about “sale prices”, as were common in other stores. She said theirs were very special pearls and no discounts were offered because of the “name”.

Now, being from backwoods Northwest Arkansas, uncouth, unrefined, and often unappreciated for my humor, I said, “Mikimoto….I’ve heard of that name! Don’t he live in Disneyland”? The previously nice saleslady quickly straightened up, turned her mostly artificial head sharply to her right side and said, “Oh my god!”

Well, in the first place I was only making a wisecrack; certainly not serious! In the second place, I don’t appreciate anyone using that kind of disrespectful language to my God….so I was definitely finished with her at this point! But it was the funniest thing of the day!

So, two more stores later and I was on a pearl trail back to MACY’S, where the same nice lady asked if I was ready. I told her I was and bought the necklace, as well as a pair of earrings for my honey of 36 years. Add to that, 3 dozen of her favorite flowers and I went home, invincible!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on both counts. One for 36 years together and two on your pearlacious purchase both a fine choice. Many happy more to you and Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I wish you many more years of happy wedded bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, have a wonderfully calm year

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers