Saturday, February 17, 2007

Job Security II..... The Axe.

There's an old saying that says, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life". I suppose that's true for the most part. Some people, however, soak their whole life into being somebody, or something, and when that comes to an end, so does their life. It reminds me of investors during the big crash of the stock market in the 1930's. They woke up one morning and found their entire fortunes were gone. Everything that they "were" was no more. Many committed suicide by bailing out of upper story windows because of their great "depression". Others would hang in there and make a go out of what was left. Still, others who had no $fortunes simply found that life was a little bit harder now and food was more scarce.

The Vice President of the company I worked for came upstairs yesterday afternoon about 3:00 PM and handed me my final check. I suppose I could have been fired for commiting a crime against the company, had I committed a crime. I could have been fired for insubordination, if I had been. Perhaps I could have even been fired for failing to meet "quotas". But, it was really none of the above. I was fired because the company eliminated my position, because it wasn't profitable.

I find it interesting that there was no prior discussion of my job with me. No one took the time to tell me that they were considering eliminating our department, and me. There were no options proposed; no questions asked. They have no problem with what I do in my "warranty" department, except that I make no profit. Duh!

Prior to my position as Service Manager, I was a service technician who went about doing the same things I have been ordering my employees to do since 1999. I was a good mechanic; good enough to be paid top dollar by the owner for what I do. I was "loyal". I received no pay increase when I became manager, but I was okay with that part.

I guess my question now is, why does it have to be "all or nothing"? I am content to go back "to the tools" and do hands on work; in fact that's what I will probably do. The VP asked if I was willing to take a cut in pay and go out on jobs and work like everyone else. I told him that was exactly what I intended to do with any other company. So he said to hold off until Monday, keep the cell phone and he would talk to the other VP. I said okay. I will do that for now because I know that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". If I can continue to work for this company, I will have ample time to locate another company to go to work for without having to be off work for a short period of time.

Now, the really interesting thing is that after I was fired, I still had the duty to lock up the out buildings, making sure everything was secure for the weekend and "set the alarm". I went inside and said goodbye to Katherine, who was crying. Most everyone had left by now, but the VP was still there, talking to someone in his office. I waited around for him to give me a ride home, but he was "too busy". I told Kat that I should just take my company van home and the VP could come and get it. I thought about that for a second and decided that was a good ideal.

So I did. Now I have the weekend to decide what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. Here's another cliche for you, when it rains it pours. Which I know that you guys are very familiar with. I am very sorry to hear about this & I hope that the situation gets resolved soon. But I hear that you are so good at what you do that finding another job should be no problem for you! I know that God has a plan for you!

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers