Friday, October 13, 2006

....The best-laid plans of Mice and Men....

Have you ever had your eyes set towards a goal, only to find “roadblocks” in your way? I think back upon my life and envisioning what I wanted to be when I “grew up”. Naturally, as a kid, I wanted to be the “Fireman” or “Forest Ranger”, and even “The Lone Ranger” because that was “flashy” and seemed exciting to me. As I grew and gained much wisdom, it changed to “Mechanical Engineer”. At the time, I had no earthly idea what ME was, or why I wanted to be one. But it seemed to be the thing during those high school years. Unfortunately, I did not prepare for becoming one; yet choosing instead to bask in the warmth of the “idea”. Thus, my mental competency was a roadblock.

College didn’t work for me. I couldn’t sit still long enough to learn and I was wasting my $90 per semester tuition (big money back in those days…..or so I thought). So I decided to enter the Military and joined the Air Force. Naturally, they tried to brainwash us into thinking the USAF would make a great career. That didn’t work out too well, either! My energy was spent and I couldn’t wait to get out. I put up my own roadblock with that one! So I was honorably discharged and rejoined the civilian life. I soon found myself back in college where I quickly found that my “brain” was my roadblock. That didn’t work out, either, so I took a detour.

The single life wasn’t for me so I tossed up another roadblock, took my detour and fell in love, got married, had kids, and now I’m old. WOW! That sure went FAST!


Trying to find a career became a challenge. I worked part time in a grocery store during my high school and early college days. After the Air Force, I went back to the grocery business but found a roadblock of boredom facing me. I decided upon a Trade School to learn the building trades and enter the same skill that my father-in-law was doing. I soon found the “bridge was down” and I liked it.


People say that a person changes jobs about 7 times during his life, spanning, I think, 3 careers. I’m not sure about those numbers but it’s something like that. I’ve had 3 careers. Actually, I’m on my third one now and at my age, looks like I’ll stick it out to the end. I have worked for more employers than 7, but that’s okay.

Have you thought about your life? At what point are you in this process? Have you found roadblocks that made you turn and send you down another path? Some of us tend to bog down and try to “wait” it out. When the bridge is “up”, it’s okay enough to just sit there in our job and collect our paycheck, waiting for the bridge to come down. Sometimes it comes down; sometimes it doesn’t. How do you like your career? Would a roadblock or “bridge up” disappoint you? During my military days, I was told to “bloom where you’re planted”. I look back over my last 40 years and can confidently say that “I have”. I bloomed in all 3 of my careers. But that’s another story….

1 comment:

  1. You should have worked to become The Lone Ranger. Then I could have become one of those kids who had a nice trust fund behind my name for the rest of my life.

    Plus I would have been the coolest kid on the block because The Lone Ranger was my dad.

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers

Blog Archive