Tuesday, October 03, 2006


Vehicle purchase update…..

The “politics” of car buying became frustrating to the point that I gave up on salesmen. I tried working with “internet sales” and they weren’t much better. I’m not too keen on smoke and mirrors business anyway. It becomes so confusing and makes a sensible purchase become “suspect”. I didn’t know if I was getting a good deal or not.

I finally figured out the best way to purchase a vehicle. It was very simple. The answer is to not use a car salesman to make your purchase! I decided to investigate the market and spent a few weeks looking through “cars for sale” flyers and newspaper ads. First of all I decided on the kind of vehicle I wanted; make, model and year, as well as price range. Then I went on the internet and did a search of the vehicle I wanted. I poured over several ads, looking at the options for the price and came up with an appropriate price range for the vehicle I wanted. From there I began searching for the same thing closer to my home so I wouldn’t have additional shipping or driving expenses to get it home.

My favorite place to go back to, over and over, until the one I wanted appeared, was “Craig’s List”. I discovered that http://www.portland.craigslist.org/ was the best place to look. I found the very truck I wanted at a price of $4,000 less than I had thought I would pay because the owner was anxious to sell and the truck had higher miles than usual, but fine for me and my occasional use. It was a 2004 Dodge 1500 4x4 Quad Cab, black, loaded for $14k.

I also discovered that Craig’s List is nationwide and appears in most major cities. It might even be in yours! Check it out! There’s much, much more than autos at this site. A friend of mine got a big, above-ground, rectangle, 4 feet deep swimming pool, complete with a Redwood Deck around 2/3rds of it……FOR FREE!! It was only 2 or 3 years old and in perfect condition! If you are looking for something specific, it’s a great place to start.

So now, I’m a truck owner, driving a big truck that friends say, “Boy! That’s a big truck!”

Well, I guess it is.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've hit upon a couple of things that many people never learn. Buy used. And, buy from a private seller. New cars are a financial nightmare, and private parties are often motivated to sell for reasonable prices.

    And craigslist? Genius. I've sold and bought cars on there, it is certainly the way to go.

    Now that you have that big truck...(when can you come by and help me haul off my big pile of limbs?)

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter

Followers

Blog Archive